Being a freelance writer is exciting. You have your time to yourself. You don’t have to rush off anywhere before the sun rises, you don’t have to answer to anyone and you can plan your day as you like. Great stuff we must admit but the reality is this – without great discipline and hard work, the perks of being a freelance writer can also be the cause of failure.
We want you to succeed as a freelance writer and these 10 tips will help you to do just that.
- Promote yourself. Be visible on social media. Let people know what you do and how good you are. Join in trending conversations and add your opinion. But please, make sure they’re meaningful.
- Start contributing. The more platforms that publish your work, the more likely it is you will get writing jobs. It doesn’t matter if these platforms pay you or not. Take advantage of this free publicity.
- Create a blog. By now, you should know the benefits of having your own blog. That’s the first thing most potential clients look out for. They use it to determine how good you are.
- Be professional. The fact that you are a freelance writer doesn’t mean you don’t have to be disciplined. In the way you write and communicate, be professional – even on social media.
- Always network. That’s one of the best ways of getting new clients; networking. Go to events, strike conversations with people and chip in what you do. Build useful contacts.
- Be good at what you do. Even if you get clients and you deliver poor work. sooner or later. they’ll stop giving you jobs. So perfect your craft. Be the best at what you do.
- Never stop learning. Don’t ever think you know all there is to know about writing. Be open minded. Have a teachable spirit. Be ready to learn and unlearn to move forward in this field of work.
- Have a price list. It’s necessary. Sit down and determine what you will charge for the various things you write. Let that guide you as you negotiate with clients.
- Keep your ears open. Clients will not walk up to your door to give you jobs (won’t that be great if that actually happens). You have to go out and find them. So keep your ears open especially on social media. Follow hashtags, find out who is looking for freelance writers and market yourself!
- Believe in yourself. If you don’t believe you can do it then you have already failed. There’s a sparkle within you; let it shine through. You can do this!
Did you find these tips helpful? Let us know. Watch out for more tips on our Twitter page @SparkleWriters.